A. Monty Vintage Nosing Plane
This double-iron vintage nosing plane was manufactured by A. Monty in Roxton Pond, Québec. ‘In 1895, following the purchase of property in Roxton Pond, Quebec, Arthur Monty began producing wooden planes under the name A. Monty. The land had formerly belonged to Samuel Dalpe, an early wooden plane maker. It came equipped with a sawmill, house, barn, and plane factory. In 1899 Arthur sold the property to his brother Adelard Monty, who would continue to produce planes using the same name. Adelard died in 1927 but the business continued to operate until 1935.’
This plane was owned and used by Alphonse Lavergne, a carpenter who built a number of buildings in Ottawa’s Little Italy, including his own house on Preston Street that he constructed in 1931. Alphonse was also a member of the team that built the Chateau Laurier, as well as Union Station across the street (now the Conference Centre). This plane was donated to the Ottawa Tool Library by his granddaughter Virginia, with the intention that it continue to be used and appreciated within the local woodworking community. It has been restored and sharpened by Adrian and Dave, members of the Ottawa Tool Library Vintage Tool Group. The light colored wedge was made to replace one that was damaged beyond repair, and made to match the original in its signature profile and shape.
Pickup during opening hours.
Out of stock